Thursday, February 13, 2003

If women are dreaming of having a man be like Jesus, what kind of a woman can a man dream of, Mary?! :) :) While it's true that Jesus is the perfect example of a human being that any and every one aspires to, and we all desire to be treated in a Christ-like manner, I'm not so sure that gives a sufficient real-life answer to how that plays out through different personalities, and what that would look like.. well-known preachers like you mentioned, or Christian celebrities look great in the spotlight, but you really don't know what they're like in person.. even someone like Amy Grant and Sandi Patti didn't have smooth marriage lives, and having heard Billy Graham's autobiography [I recently finished listening to its audio-book version during my drive time], he himself shared about his many travels and absence from home. I know of personal stories of people who have encountered well-known Christian preachers, including one you mentioned, and their guardedness, aloofness, self-protection, was rather discouraging, and pretty much shattered any sense of respect for him. All that this person asked for was an autograph and hoped for a polite friendly conversation; what this person got was an abrupt lets-get-it-over-with scribble. [I won't name names, but if I told you who this person was, you would know who].

I'm of the persuasion that there's not a "good man" or "good woman" who can meet your or my ideal; I disappoint myself at times, and I'm a broken and imperfect person. I do think what is achievable and realistic is a person who is honest, vulnerable, and transparent with their brokenness, with their strengths and weaknesses, and demonstrates a desire to change, not only to be changing and growing himself, but to allow others to speak into their lives, and to respond to the insights and wounds of a friend. So an open communication is essential... and there will definitely be occasions when communication will not be easy; and that's when you or I are getting to places where we're touching a nerve, and on the brink of seeing breakthrough, and hopefully not breakdown. I love those poignant moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home