Thursday, January 23, 2003

Christine, you did great! Welcome to the world of blogging! That's also been a recent thought circling in our home, about what single women are supposed to do, and why it seems like there are so few good men out there.. we're reading a book titled Wild At Heart (which is making its circuit in popular mainstream evangelicalism) and he describes how men are beaten down to become "nice guys" instead of an adventurous assertive man who will fight the valiant battles for the love of his life. (as an aside, I'm not sure how much of his thesis works outside of his white male middle class audience; many metaphors he used relates to that City Slickers movie!) Now I know women aren't looking for a "nice guy" (read: stereotypical passive Asian male), but a "good guy".. and I don't have an answer for that. It baffles me too. I know guys and meet guys via men's groups, and do find it hard to connect with them in deeper conversation to know what makes them tick, and why they're hesitant toward personal maturity. Fragile male ego?

Since our email dialogue in 1997, Roo and I have had a baby boy born in our midst, and he'd entered Kindergarten last Fall. We'd been married over 7 years now, and it's taken about this long to get to a point where we're really enjoying all aspects of our marriage. While I have more personal freedom to talk about everything personal, I don't have license to talk about everything, with my wife Roo not being a blogger, and not a reader of blogs either. Both of us do still value our friendships with single adults, and we fight the pressures that be which marginalize those who aren't in marital coupledom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home